Monday, December 16, 2019

Not a Hitler

Sitting in her class was similar to travelling in a Metro. The progress was gradual, with intervals in between and in the end, you get a result which satisfies you.
Betty ma'am was one of those teachers whose classes would leave you mindblown. Yes, she was strict; students called her "Hitler", but at the end of it all, they all came back to her with respect and admiration.

Entering into 11th standard, choosing Commerce was a decision I took independently because I hated Science. Becoming a college student, choosing Economics was again, a decision I took independently but I took it for the love I had for the subject. And this love for the subject wouldn't have been formed without her presence.

She was my class teacher in 11th standard. Her tall stature and her strict manner was quite enough to scare us. No one could talk during her classes, she'd ask questions the moment you got distracted, but she was still the sweetest person ever. When she asked questions, she did not leave us lost in the dense forest that is 'Economics', rather she showed the way as we tagged along beside her. She never gave the answers, but took us through the right paths in such a way that we could find the answers ourselves. One could say that she was strict in a soothing way.

She went for a long leave in 12th standard to take care of her unwell son. That was when we fully understood her value. Two other teachers taught us. But when you've already been taught by the 'Queen of the jungle', nothing else could satisfy you. She was always there for us, a call away, a text away. She'd clear all doubts and even without her physical presence at school, she was the reason for our good results for the Board exams.

This year, she took VRS after 25 years of brilliant service and I feel like it is the biggest loss for the school and the students who were meant to be taught by her. In her farewell speech, she had said, "This retirement is filled both with happiness and sadness. The sad part of leaving the school and my students is unbearable. But the happy part is that I get to spend time with my son." The sheer number of passed out students who had come for the farewell function was enough to prove that she was indeed a person respected by all. Even the ones whom she had scolded the most loved her.

I consider myself lucky to know her and to have been taught by her. She is my inspiration and my motivation, and with an ambition to become a college professor, I consider her as my role model. I know this is a clichèd sentence, but I can't conclude without saying that she was not just a teacher but a mother who cared and loved us like her own children. She helped me take the road not taken and I don't regret it one bit. 

-Vismaya Venugopal

No comments:

Post a Comment